Don't Believe Everything You Think by Thomas Kida 2007
Blink: the power of thinking without thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI2461dDnwc -- "Early History of Reaction Time Research," 5:48. Produced by Christopher D. Green of York Unviersity (Toronto) as a supplement to his documentary, "Toward a School of Their Own: The Prehistory of American Functionalist Psychology."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhlc7peGlGg submitted by Michelle Everson- University of Minnesota -- The Monty Hall Problemexposes students to a game show format in which they must make a decision on which door to choose in order to win a goat or a car. It explores probability and thinking isssues. Approximately 5 1/2 minutes long.
http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/index.jhtml?ml_video=81914 Steven Pinker Interview: --submitted by Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D. University of San Diego
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIM1_xOSro&search=chomsky%20ali Chomsky video: --submitted by Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D. University of San Diego
Poems and stories
Identifying The Gifted
- 1. Einstein was four years old before he could speak and seven before he could read.
- 2. Isaac Newton did poorly in grade school.
- 3. When Thomas Edison was a boy, his teachers told him he was too stupid to learn anything.
- 4. F.W.Woolworth got a job in a dry goods store when he was 21. But his employers would not let him wait on a customer because he "Didn't have enough sense."
- 5. A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney because he had "No good ideas"
- 6. Caruso's music teacher told him "You can't sing, you have no voice at all."
- 7. Leo Tolstoy flunked out of college.
- 8. Verner Von Braun flunked 9th grade algebra.
- 9. Admiral Richard E. Byrd had been retired from the navy, as, "Unfit for service" Until he flew over both poles.
- 10. Louis Pasteur was rated as mediocre in chemistry when he attended the Royal College
- 11. Abraham Lincoln entered The Black Hawk War as a captain and came out a private
- 12. Fred Waring was once rejected from high school chorus.
- 13. Winston Churchill failed the sixth grade.
- Einstein on the Beach (for an eggman)- Counting Crows
- What a Fool Believes- Doobie Brothers (or Kenny Loggins version)
- Dumb- Nirvana
- Brain of J - Pearl Jam
- Brain Stew - Greenday
- Ridiculous Thoughts - Cranberries
- Mind Games - John Lennon (w/ Yoko)
- Brilliant Mistake- Elvis Costello
- How do you Tell a Witch? - Monty Python
- Whip-Smart - Liz Phair
- Stupid Girl- Pink_
|Video]] discusses female gender issues and trying to live up to common stereotypes
- I Don’t Want to Know–Phil Collins
- Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off –Harry Connick Jr.
- People Just Love to Play with Words–Men at Work
- So Much to Say—Dave Matthews Band
- Think—Aretha Franklin
- Speechless—Fenix, TX
- I Know What I Know – Paul Simon (Graceland)
- International Bright Young Thing –Jesus Jones (Doubt)
- Land of Confusion—Genesis
- You Oughta Know—Alanis Morissette
- Too Much Information—The Police
- Mayer of Simpleton - XTC
- Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind? - Lovin' Spoonful